It's time to head into the gym once again, and this time we won't be going in alone. It's time for us to take a buddy! The labyrinth builder himself rorrik helped out with this one!
Below is a list of names your players may have given to their familiars. Pick one of the following names and answer the questions below:
1) What kind of creature is it?. 2) How did the character bond with it as a familiar? 3) What quirks or interesting behaviors does the familiar exhibit? 4) What is the signature move between familiar and character? 5) Anything else you can think of!
Names (rorrik got carried away and did the whole alphabet): Archie Bubba Chum Dezzy Evren Fizzle Gup Hiccup Icarus Jingle Korban Lipid Maven Nibble Oscar Pavlov Quincy Relampago Syrup Thresh Uncle Ventius Wade Xander Yolo Zig
From A to Z can't wait to see what kind of awesome ideas people come up with!
I’ll take Korban Korban 1. Korban’s the skull of a young dragon reanimated. 2. Korban was originally raised up from the dead by the necromancer Crothum the reviver, when Alburin discovered Korban he was trapped inside a gem (and had been so for the past 26 years) after a bunch of adventures killed Crothum. 3. Korban is extremely easy to irritate, and whenever he’s annoyed he’ll remain completely silent but when he’s in a good mood it’s impossible to keep him quiet. 4. Alburin often wears Korban as a helmet and while in that form Korban is able to use the breath weapon of a silver dragon as if he was alive.
The battle with the beholder was brutal. I would have died if my faithful familiar didn't take the disintegration ray meant for me. However, the resummoning had to wait til the next day since I was out of slots.
That night I dreamed about the find familiar spell, and the horrible confrontation with the beholder. The next morning I awoke to Xander.
1) What kind of creature is it? A Micro-beholder. This mucous slathered creature has a diameter of 3", sharp needle-like teeth, a central eye accented with an absurdly large/fluffy eyebrow, and 2 eye stalks.
2) How did the character bond with it as a familiar? Cast find familiar in a dream while also thinking of a beholder.
3) What quirks or interesting behaviors does the familiar exhibit? Xander is a fervent servant to its master. Seeing every action of its master as part of a diabolical plan.
'Why yes master, we should rescue the orphanage. The major will welcome us to his home in gratitude where we will kill him, take over the city, and begin taking over the world together! Bwahahahahaha-'
'What? We aren't taking over the world? Or killing the mayor? Right right sure sure, we have to keep up the charade as goody two shoes what was I thinking. Your plan is brilliant master.'
4) What is the signature move between familiar and character? Levitates, speaks common, has an amazing diabolical laugh and two eye rays, but he only grants the great diabolical laughter to its master.
Eye of the Great Curse of Doom: A creature of your choice that you can see within 100' must make Charisma saving throws DC 11. If the target fails this saving throw each time they make an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target must roll a d4 and subtract the number rolled from the attack roll or saving throw. They can attempt the saving throw again at the end of each of their turns.
Eye of Obliteration: The micro-beholder can make a ranged spell attack with +3 against a target up to 100' away. On a hit the target takes 1d6 force damage.
The central eye allows the beholder to use detect magic at will. This is a natural and not a magical ability of the micro-beholder
5) Anything else you can think of! The micro-beholders base speed is only 20', however any ally can use a bonus action to grab and chuck the micro-beholder like a baseball up to 40' away.
If the micro beholder sees the chucker as a threat it can use its reaction to bite them dealing 1d4 piercing damage.
1) Nibble is a quasit who was left behind by his master, a marilith, who had used him as a spy. She quite frankly didn't realize he existed unless he was reporting information, and she left him on the material plane in a cave. Now there are rumors in the small town nearby of a creature that can change shape that has been eating the livestock nearby.
2) When looking into the menace terrorizing the nearby farmers, the blind halfling Corrett ventured to see what was causing the commotion. When he found Nibble, he recognized the behavior patterns of a smaller, weaker creature acting out in aggression, though he would never admit he saw himself in the creature, especially to Aelon. He made a small offering of food to the creature, who ate it and scurried off into the darkness. Nibble slowly made his way out of the darkness, approaching Corrett and realizing he couldn't see his physical grotesqueness. "You know, there's more where that came from." Ever since, the two enjoyed cartoonishly large meals together and annoying their party constantly.
3) Nibble, quite frankly, eats anything and everything that is offered up to him as food, hence the name. One of his horns is snapped off, it was used as a toothpick by his former master. Receiving blind love from Corrett, Nibble has unconditional loyalty to him and tends to lash out at party members, strangers, and others who threaten or insult him.
4) A move they practiced constantly, Corrett will have an intense stare down with an opponent while in his martial artist stance, the two enemies in a standoff. When the time seems right, Nibble will end his invisibility right next to the enemy and use scare, either frightening the enemy or at least distracting them enough for Corrett to strike!
5) Since nibble can't walk around town constantly as a quasit, his animal form of choice in town is a Chihuahua, it's the easiest since their faces and attitudes are essentially the same.
1) What kind of creature is it? An extremely chubby guinea pig with black and grey bands and a very regal crest on his forehead.
2) How did the character bond with it as a familiar? Irridus acquired Lipid through the Find Familiar ritual. This was followed by a mad dash to escape a livid guinea pig farmer pursuing his prize specimen, which had been intended as an offering to a tribal god.
3) What quirks or interesting behaviors does the familiar exhibit? Lipid eats anything and everything that comes near his mouth. His bites are vicious, causing severe bleeding, and his appetite has led to the destruction of more than a few maps and other important documents since becoming Irridus' familiar. Lipid is very skittish around orcs, like the farmer that raised him, and still looks over his shoulder often in fear that the enraged farmer is still in pursuit.
4) What is the signature move between familiar and character? Lipid's girth belies his speed and stealth. Irridus imbues him with restraining spells that he activates upon getting close to a foe. Even without such a spell, Lipid is skilled at getting underfoot and disturbing the balance of foes for Irridus to fight.
5) Anything else you can think of! Lipid was sworn to be offered to a lesser god. While most gods might be willing to forget about the loss of such a morsel, this god did not forget. He had invested long moments of salivation in this guinea pig, and he would have a taste of it, once the foolish adventurer who stole it was caught.
Post by oldsoulsunrise on Nov 23, 2017 15:32:09 GMT
I choose hiccup
1) Its a Blink dog
2) Pheadrian enjoying his new found ability to jump from plane to plane took a month off of the adventuring guild to master the skill, this movement attracted a skulking creature that seemed to follow him every time he showed back up on his home plane, this game of cat and mouse lasted for months until he decided to confront the creature. It was a Blink dog puppy
3) It turns out that this blink dog puppy was the only the survivor of a displacer beast attack on his pack. at this point the pup had not fully developed his ability to blink and would periodically hiccup from one end of the room to the other, and that's what Pheadrian decided to name him 'hiccup'. The Blink dog is older now but since he had to learn to blink on his own he sometimes still fall into blinking fits mostly after he eats.
4) Pheadrian and hiccup are proud of a move they call fetch, hiccups blinks to the enemy just after pheadrian has tossed a lightning javelin, once hiccup is done mauling the enemy he brings back the javelin with tail wagging.
5) Hiccup survived on his own for along time by theft, and he still has a habit of blinking in and stealing other peoples things in the party, this causes some issues as they almost always find these things in Pheadrian's tent. Watch your plates when hiccup is hungry!
Post by Chickadee (DM Trish) on Nov 24, 2017 15:03:17 GMT
I choose Uncle.
2) Ander was meditating in the woods outside Phandelver, waiting for the arrival of a 'surprise' his master promised would appear. He had seen his master's beautiful golden lion companion and wished with all his heart for a majestic hunter that would best represent his new-found ranger skills. Something wild; something magnificent; a lithe, graceful, merciless predator - like himself....as he was ruminating on his own brilliance, a sudden rustle in the trees overhead caught his attention. He glanced up just in time to see a huge black semi-humanoid form hurtling towards him at speed.
When Ander awoke a few hours later, he was being held tightly and lovingly groomed by his new companion, Uncle.
1) Silverback gorilla (larger than in the wild but not King Kong big)
3) Uncle tends to give hugs and show affection at random and inappropriate times. Unfortunately, he also forgets that he's very large and extremely strong.
4) Ander often uses Uncle as decoy so he can pick off enemies using his bow. Despite this sounding a bit callous, Ander is extremely fond of Uncle (he would totally deny it though)
5) Uncle arrived with a very unusual set of red leather glove/wrist bindings. They can do 1D4 fire damage each hit with a successful roll of 70%+. They also have a 'Falcon Punch' ability (6D6) if 100% is rollled. After a Falcon Punch, he has to roll over 95% again for the gloves to recharge. The source of the gloves is a mystery which Ander has never bothered to solve - maybe someday the answer will come to him in very much the same way Uncle did.
(I have to give credit for this familiar to Ander from our party - this familiar is based roughly on his ranger companion, Caesar, with quite a few embellishments)
Zig is an Imp with a greenish hue to his skin instead of red and black.
Tarkus, a tiefling summoner who had a rivalry with another summoner, bit off more than he could chew one day when he summoned a chain devil named Irath. In the lower plane of Avernus, Irath was torturing Zig for a failed errand as Zig was enslaved to this particular chain devil. Due to Irath having his hands around Zig's throat when he was summoned, Zig was pulled to the material plane as well. When Irath realized who had summoned him, his wrath and anger was quick to surface. He let go of Zig, easily broke free of the summoning cirlce and started battle with the summoner. Tarkus, though skilled in the magic arts, was no match for Irath's chains.
Bloodied and broken upon the floor Tarkus raised his hands to try and stop the killing blow...but the blow never came. Zig was holding onto the chain on the other side of the room, preventing the final blow. Realizing his opportunity in Iraths' distraction, Tarkus summoned whatever magic he had left into a banishment spell, sending the Devil back to the plane form which it came.
Zig had the choice to go with the devil back to his home plane, but knew that if he went, he would only be beaten more by Irath. He looked at this tiefling, broken upon the floor, but still alive and sensed a passion within him. A passion to do great things....horrible things...but great.
Zig is unusually blood thirsty. He likes to push Tarkus just a little bit further everytime he does something sinister or malicious.
Zig will wrap his leathery wings tight around him and form himself into some sort of javelin or spear. Tarkus will then throw him at an enemy. Just before Zig hits his mark, he will turn invisible, unfurl his wings, and then sting the target from behind. The Zig - Zag!
Zig is scared of returning to the lower planes, knowing that he betrayed his old master. He pleads Tarkus not to try anymore summoning. By now, every devil from Avernus down to Nessus knows both their names and they all want retribution.
- Due to wild magic, I have become a very tall gnome.
1) this name makes me think kid Icarus, so I think it will be a celestial hawk
2) the character is a cleric who's deity gave out the find familiar spell as one of it's divine domain spells, the hawk was what he chose and the deity decided he would make it celestial and the creature was an incredibly beautiful hawk with golden feathers and a white beak of majesty. the Hawk has detect good and evil once per day and can cast guiding bolt once per day and it has telepathic abilities with it's master.
3)it screech's at anything evil or undead, it has a horrible stunning sound towards these npcs/monsters.
4) the cleric releases it into the air with a flash of light when it does so.
organizing an RPG session for my group is nearly impossible sometimes we have most of us ready to go and than somebody can't make it and we have to reschedule
2) How did the character bond with it as a familiar? Har’ahk and his party were sent out to take on a dragon that had taken a cow from one of the farmers. The party was woefully unequipped to fight a dragon and only went after they had managed to exhaust every other excuses in the the book. Much to their relief, the party quickly learned that the “dragon” was far overhyped, being about the size of a large cat and only having a fondness for chickens and shiny things. Har’ahk and the others managed to find the creature's nest in a large hollow tree. Blasts of frigid air hit the party. A shadow darted from tree to tree evading all attacks.
The party’s battle devolved into an exchange of insults between them and the tiny dragonkin. Har’ahk, having enough of the exchange, sat down for a snack while he watched his party bicker with the drake, then each other. At some point, several minutes later; Har’ahk and Evren shared a meal and took bets on which of Har’ahk’s party would throw the first punch. Evren won. Har’ahk offered to pay the drake if he came with him… Evren agreed to the terms.
3) What quirks or interesting behaviors does the familiar exhibit? Evren is materialistic and full of himself. In his mind, he is the most valuable creature in the party, despite doing very little.
4) What is the signature move between familiar and character? In times when a fight is certain, but not yet started, Har’ahk and Evren begin arguing. Cueing the rest of the party to position themselves for battle as their opponents are distracted by the spectacle. Battle usually begins with someone being blasted in the face with Evren’s stygian breath followed by a solid thrust from Har’ahk’s spear.
5) Anything else you can think of! Evren seems to be a master of manipulating the party into buying him useless items. His latest score. A gem encrusted bandana.
1) What kind of creature is it?. Miniature, semi sentient gelatinous cube.
2) How did the character bond with it as a familiar? found in a glass box, discarded in depths of underdark or in some nefarious magical lab the party raided. it bonded psychically with its rescuer, not necessarily the party caster. Maybe the box got smashed by the Goliath Barbarian... and now they are Gups master...
3) What quirks or interesting behaviors does the familiar exhibit? RP exactly like an overeager Labrador puppy... that leaks acid... Friendly, over eager, well meaning... and destructive =] Although, also like a puppy it is being house trained, it knows when it can 'go' as in dissolve things. but sometimes, when trying to be friendly it accidentally scalds or damages things. Carpets, boots, treasure on the ground etc. Has very limited empathic / telepathic bond with 'master' - also like a puppy.
4) What is the signature move between familiar and character? Gup places itself in front of an opponent such that opponent literally steps into it. Then foot starts dissolving. Gup also knows how to 'turn off its slime' so it can perch on its masters hand or shoulder like the weirdest ever pirate parrot.
5) Anything else you can think of! When 'eating' it makesd a distinctive 'gup gup' noise, hence its name. I also like to think it has a favourite toy that it carries inside itself, like a colourful glass marble or something. occasionally spitting it out at masters feet, pining gelatinously to play 'fetch'. I'd also give it advantage on all stealth and hide skills, perhaps let it work as a scout. But mainly this is an RP thing (as mine all are)
Bonus hooks: - what will it be when it grows up? what happens then? - is it one of a kind or an example of a new species?
2) How did the character bond with it as a familiar?
Fizzle was causing mischief on a farm with a small pack of other sprites when a sudden rainstorm sweep over the area. His companions were able to generate enough heat so they could fly safely through the rain, but poor Fizzle's weak powers could cut it. The storm pelted him into submission as he fell into a shallow puddle. Struggling to keep himself lite up and alive, he sparked and sputtered as the rain dimmed his flame. Just Fizzle was fading away, the rain stopped its bludgeoning as a figure stood over him, blocking the falling drops. Jaylin the halfling rogue was walking along the road when he say the little guy get knocked from the air. It being strange for a Flame Sprite to be stopped by a little rain, he decided to investigate. Upon seeing the small fellow gasping and fizzling on the muddy ground, Jaylin took pity and dumped some oil on the sprite. It was all the little guy needed to flare back to life. They sprite locked eyes with him and looked at him quizzically. "Hey bud" Jaylin said "did you forget to bring your umbrella?" The two have been traveling together ever since.
3) What quirks or interesting behaviors does the familiar exhibit?
Fizzle's fire abilities are slightly defective. Most of his magic crackles and pops, very showy but to little actually effect. He can use his body to act as a small fire bomb if he concentrates hard enough. However doing so greatly drains Fizzle and pushes him to near unconsciousness.
4) What is the signature move between familiar and character?
Jaylin and Fizzle love to cause a little bit of trouble, but they don't actually like to hurt anybody. So when a room needs clearing, a threat made, or a distraction had, Fizzle will latch onto one of the dud bombs Jayline has on his belt. Jaylin will toss the "bomb" in the appropriate direction, and Fizzle will begin firework his. No one wants to start a fistfight with a mad bomber and his fire sprite pet.
5) Anything else you can think of! Fizzle has a short temper, made even shorter by the fact he doesn't really have a way to really DO anything about the causes of his anger. Due to his size and ineffective abilities. This anger can unintentionally cause Fizzle to explode like a small fire bomb. It was actually a (now bald) paladin making fun of Jaylin's size that helped Fizzle to discover this ability.
1) What kind of creature is it?. Relempago is a peacock.
2) How did the character bond with it as a familiar? Meredelle the sorceress was raised in a noble family. They had all manner of exotic creatures from lands afar. When Meredelle was young, the personal guard of her father, Qixian, who was also much like an older brother to her, returned from a 4-month long journey across the sea. He brought with him several gifts for the family, and for Meredelle, he brought Relempago. No one knew the full potential of Relempago until the day Meredelle encountered the goblins in the garden. What motivates a goblin? Food, treasure, murder. Whatever their reason was, they rampaged through the local village an now had come to the family villa. Finding herself alone and facing a trio of blood thirsty goblins, Relempago stepped forward and spread his beautiful feathers. The dazzling display hypnotized and charmed the goblins, giving Meredelle just enough time to run and fetch Qixian and the other guards.
3) What quirks or interesting behaviors does the familiar exhibit? Relempago likes to eat bananas.
4) What is the signature move between familiar and character? Each day when the Sun rises, Relempago stretches out his feathers in full display. He absorbs the energy of the sun and can later re-emit the display of dazzling color to subject 3 creatures within 30 feet to the effects of a charm person spell. Aditionally, Relempago has granted Meredelle a feather through which she can focus her magical energy. When Meredelle casts an evocation spell through the feather, she can alter the damage type of the spell (e.g., fireball to acidball). She can do this thrice before it must recharge in the sunlight of dawn.
5) Anything else you can think of! Relempago is the scion of a noble line of peacocks from a land across the sea. As he ages, his intelligence will grow. Eventually he will be an "awakened" creature, able to fully engage in intellectual conversation with humanoids.
2) She was found, dazed on the ground after flying into a closed window at the Cimian Academy of Arcana. Her rescuer was a young wizard in training named Asha Renstep. After hours of care and recitation, Dezzy sprung to life and never left Asha's side, forming an immediate bond between them.
3) Dezzy seems to perk up and fly very lively when Asha wears her favorite perfume; what Asha doesn't realize is that the perfume attracts bugs.
4) Whenever Asha is performing the Somatic portion of her spells Dezzy repeats the patterns with her flight; a trail of magic follows her path, drawing a rune in the air. Occasionally, Dezzy accidentally casts a second copy of the spell when the pair are particularly in tune with each other, or when casting air based spells.
2) Lucifer is a Wizard/Ranger multiclass. On one occasion that he was scouting ahead for the party, Lucifer's animal companion wandered off and found Yolo dozing on a sunny rock. By the time Lucifer has found the two they had become best friends, and Lucifer grew to like Yolo because she seemed to be the only thing that could keep his animal companion in check.
3) Because Lucifer's horns reach far above his head and stick nearly straight up (like a goat), Yolo can almost always be found curled up and around one of Lucifer's horns. If the party ever needs a scout, Yolo always darts off without asking (sometimes even if she doesn't know what to look for).
4) Yolo is Lucifer's primary tool for threatening NPCs. If an NPC needs bribing, investigating, or any other sort of intimidation, he sends Yolo to wrap around the NPC's neck to frighten them into submission.
5) Unbeknownst to her wizard friend, Yolo is actually the formerly abused familiar of a rival adventuring party, and will do anything to hide from them when she is near. Though her old master isn't actively searching for her, Yolo knows that he would more than likely punish her if he found who she had escaped to (and more than likely that punishment would be doled out by the old master's new familiar).