With our powers combined we shall create a false religion for the world of Dayeimbe, or yours:
1. How was it started as a superstition or intentionally? 2. What part of the religion is false, or is the whole thing? 3. What do they believe? 4. Who is leading the false religion? 5. What are the religions or leaders goals (if any)?
6. You do you! (An encounter with the group, a conflict over the religion's validity, etc.)
1 Unintentionally. 2 nearly the entire thing is false. They are a branch of a popular religion but make you do things that you don’t have to. Like limiting what and when they can eat, not letting them get married or have children if they really want to please their god, beating yourself to unconsciousness . 3 they believe that in order to please God you must suffer and beat yourself as much as possible in order to atone for your sin of existing. Such as crawling three miles on hands and knees through broken glass, beating yourself on the head and back with a metal rod. There have been many cases of people dying from doing such penance. 4 they have three leaders, who are denoted by color, white, red, black. White operates in the public and is the figure head for this religion while red and black are the ones that are controlling everything. The higher ups in this religion pretend to be clerics but in reality are warlocks who have a pact with Azmodaus. 5 their goal is to control the entire world. Slowly but surely, playing the long con. It has been seven centuries since this religion started. Nearly one in every fifteen people are part of this, to some degree. It is one of the largest threats in the world if only people knew. 6 the leaders are the same ones as when it was started extending their lives to near immortality through their pacts.
3. In an area of your world where it is usually snowy, icy, polar, etc. the local people believe a God of Ice and Snow, referred to as 'The Boreal Lord' lives deep in the mountains. This is because a camp of frost giants who live at the base of the mountains claim there is one and they accurately can raid the nearby lands before sever weather issues, also attributing this ability to their god. The surrounding populace over time learned that taking offerings into the mountains waylaid some of these raids, confirming their superstitions.
4. Birga, Chieftan of the Rimefoot Clan. Once, many decades ago, Birga heard a voice in the sleet. It told them to raid in the next three days before a storm kept them away from the valleys for a few weeks. Birga heeded the warning and found their gain where other giants had to skrimp and save over the isolated weeks. Birga went back to try to find the voice, to beseech them to help once again. Continued collaborations saw Birga's rise to chieftain soon enough and for a while they ruled well over the clan. In recent years, the raids have been less forthcoming. Birga's belief is absolute but their patience begins to wane.
5. Birga's goals are to remain in charge of the clan and expand the clans raiding to more valleys surrounding the mountains. This is a point of stress currently due to the mentioned lack of recent raids. The Boreal Lord's goals are to expand their worship and tribute. Recently they have seemed shorter with Birga in their brief communications.
6. A vignette of 'The Boreal Lord': 'It will be okay', Fractilla thought to themselves. The Ice Elemental paced back and forth in the frosty cavern. 'I mean...sure he's angry but what will he do? Challenge his god? Anyway, those villagers have much nicer stuff. If he keeps up this attitude maybe I will just ask those villagers to- no, their God will COMMAND them to wage a holy crusade against the evil giants that always kill their family or some such drivel.' A smile cracked over the glassy surface of Fractilla's body. What had started as a simple ruse with some giants had expanded beyond their belief. Almost too far. The smile faltered slightly as the elemental considered how much was happening now and how much longer they could keep it up. A bellow through the winds outside stirred the creature from its thoughts. The smile set once more as Fractilla heard Birga roughly calling out their Boreal Lord.
Time and again while scrying arcane airwaves that offered mental exercises, I heard the siren call of a sea witch, imploring me to come take part in the communal scribing. I hope the party isn't too far along but you know what they say about wizards being late...
Magically yours from the last continent, WizzardofAus