So for this one we have another awesome Patreon Dragon building it! If you are a Silver Dragon or higher, and interested on getting on the list to help make a DM-Nastics head on over to the patreon section of the forums, and put your name in the ring! With that out of the way straight to the DM-Nastics by galakan ! This one is also different in that there is the intention that each person could have their own twist on the questions, rather than one person per question.
"Let's make some small adventures for a play-by-post group that causes the party to be split up to tackle them all! The goal is to create a scenario that one of the players will have to (or want to) deal with on their own.
Tying things back to DM-Nastics #61: Is One the Loneliest Number?, your group has been tasked with defeating the evil lich Kismet Craig who has hidden himself in an icy fortress in the Deep Swamp known as the lair of Usalas!
However, the lich created obstacles that force the group to divide and conquer! Let's build out some small scenarios that an individual player will have to face in order to allow the group as a whole to advance! Use the questions below to help you build out one of these scenarios.
1. Initial Trouble - what comes up that forces someone to split and deal with it.
2. What is the consequence of NOT taking care of this?
3. What sorts of enemies/obstacles will the player have to face alone?
4. Is there a helpful person/thing that aids the solo player?
5. How will the player who has this side-mission rejoin the group?"
There it is! I know DM Mitch can't wait to see what ideas everyone has for splitting the party!
Last Edit: Jun 17, 2016 23:46:50 GMT by joatmoniac
1. Initial Trouble - what comes up that forces someone to split and deal with it. Bard or Rogue Guild has been taken over by a Necromancer who works for the Lich. Bard/Rogue checks with contacts and gets trapped in guildhouse and surrounding alleys with zombies patrolling the area.
2. What is the consequence of NOT taking care of this? Family and friends will be kidnapped and slain then turned into zombies.
3. What sorts of enemies/obstacles will the player have to face alone? Bard/Rogue has to steal holy symbols from good temples for the Necromancer, or steal necromancers spellbook to blackmail him into leaving.
4. Is there a helpful person/thing that aids the solo player? Contact in the hates the Necromancer and is laying low until the time is right.
5. How will the player who has this side-mission rejoin the group?" Militia are fighting Zombie packs in the street very close to the guildhouse, this serves as a diversion.
1. Initial Trouble - what comes up that forces someone to split and deal with it. (Assuming ofc that your party has a noble ) The nobles family is at risk and requires help from the player just as the party was about to go on to find the location of the lich's phylactery.
2. What is the consequence of NOT taking care of this? The noble's family will be discredited and slaughtered, their influence wasted away and the noble stamped as a traitor to be killed on sight.
3. What sorts of enemies/obstacles will the player have to face alone? Corrupt politicians, their hired hands, and the agents of the one that started this all in the first place.
4. Is there a helpful person/thing that aids the solo player? The noble's family and various benefactors in the city, all for their price of course.
5. How will the player who has this side-mission rejoin the group?" The one behind this was under control of the lich and had helped the lich secure some items of importantance, the party may have gotten the locations of said items while on their own adventure.
DM will now be called Game Organizer and Director. GOD for short
The lich has concealed his phylactry in an ever changing labrynth. With walls that constantly shift it is inevitable that the party will be broken up. Because this is play by post we will keep the combat encounters light, instead having tonnes of traps and puzzles to oppose the players. To aid the party, there is a helpful spirit who has been trapped in the labrynth (perhaps a former adventurer who wanted to defeat the lich), who can use his incorporality and life vision to assist the party with communication and finding each other, but he has a terrible memory and sense of direction, so he doesn't know where the phylactry is hidden and can only remember one request at a time. Eventually they party will find the phylactry, which after being removed will cause the walls to vanish regrouping the party.
- "the DM is a mystical figure from another plane of reality that can only communicate with us through the magical program known as Skype" - Nasim "Knifey" Val